SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.35 issue2Morphometric Development of the Vertebral Segments of the Vertebral Column in the Goat (Capra hircus) During the Fetal PeriodScanning Electron Microscopy Study of the Dorsal Surface of the Tongue in the Slow Loris (Nycticebus coucang) and Pygma Slow Loris (N. pygmaeus) author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


International Journal of Morphology

On-line version ISSN 0717-9502


SILVA, Juan et al. Meningo Orbital Foramen. Int. J. Morphol. [online]. 2017, vol.35, n.2, pp.515-519. ISSN 0717-9502.

The meningo orbital foramen (MOF) is located in the major wing of the sphenoid and near the lateral end of the superior orbital fissure (SOF), communicating orbit with the middle cranial fossa and allowing the passage of an anastomosis between the ophthalmic and middle meningeal arteries. Its prevalence varies from 6 to 82.9 % and may occur unilaterally or bilaterally, single or multiple, and may have a circular, ovoid or groove form. The aim of this study is to evidence the existence of MOF, describing its morphological characteristics in dry skulls of Chilean adults of both sexes. The present study analyzed 54 skulls containing both orbits, considering the following criteria: Existence, unilaterality or bilaterality, number of foramens by orbit, shape, location in relation to the horizontalbaselinedetermined by the lateral end of the SOF, distance to the lateral end of the SOF and diameter and variations by sex. Measurements were made with nylonprobe,compass dry point and digital caliper. Of the sample, 46.29 % presented MOF with a greater prevalence in female samples. In 28 % of the cases it was unilateral and in the other 72 % bilateral. The circular shape was predominant in 79.07 %, followed by the ovoidal 18 % and thegrooveform 2.33 %. The MOF was observed in 90.69 % on the horizontalbaselinethat determines the lateral end of the SOF and in 9.31 % in the samebaseline. The average distance from the MOF to the lateral end of the SOF was 6.58 mm and the diameter of the MOF corresponded to 1.22 mm. Our results are consistentwith similar studies. There were some minor differences observed in Indian, Asian andPakistani skulls as well as some anatomical differences by sex. A better understanding of MOF plays an important role in anatomy, anthropology, ophthalmology, traumatology, medical imaging, surgery and human identification.

Keywords : Orbit; Superior orbital fissure; Meningo orbital foramen; Ophthalmic artery; Middle meningeal artery.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License