SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.27 issue2Anatomical Study of the Horseshoe KidneyPreoperative Computed Tomographic Evaluation of Inferior Nasal Concha Hypertrophy and its Role in Deciding Surgical Treatment Modality in Patients with Deviated Nasal Septum author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links


International Journal of Morphology

On-line version ISSN 0717-9502


OLAVE, E; GABRIELLI, C  and  BRAGA, M. T. T. Innervation Patterns and Biometric Localization of the Motor Points of the Brachial Biceps Muscle in Man. Int. J. Morphol. [online]. 2009, vol.27, n.2, pp.495-501. ISSN 0717-9502.

The biceps brachii muscle innervation is important due to its constitution and its function in the elbow joint, mainly when there are in spinal nerves damages or high spinal cord. The purpose of this study was determine with details the nerves disposition of this muscle and locate its motor points. The upper limbs of 23 formolized cadavers of adult Brazilian individuals were studied, in whose it recorded the number of branches, length, origin levels and motor point localization. The localization were recorded using as reference point a line between the humerus epicondyles. The musculocutaneous nerve send a branch for a studied muscle as a common trunk that divides in two branches, each to a different head of the biceps in 19 cases (41.3%); independent branches for each head were observed in the other cases (58.7%). The long head received one branch in 35 cases (76.1%); two branches (B1,B2) in 9 cases (19.6%) and three branches (B1,B2,B3) in 2 cases (4.3%). Each branch divided in secondary branches (SB). In the short head the principal branch divided in two SB in 20 cases; in three SB in 13 cases; in fourth SB in 4 cases and not dividing in 2 cases. In the long head, the principal branch divided in two SB in 16 cases; in three SB in 13 cases; in fourth SB in 3 cases; in five SB in one case and in sixth SB in one case and not dividing in one case. The SB pierce in the muscular belly to different levels. These results can be to use as reference for the puncture procedures in the motor points or in electromyography studies.

Keywords : Brachial biceps muscle; Biometry; Motor points.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License