SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.83 issue63-M syndrome: clinical and radiological description: Case report author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Journal

Article

Indicators

Related links

Share


Revista chilena de pediatría

Print version ISSN 0370-4106

Abstract

NORAMBUENA, Claudia; RUIZ C, Andrea  and  YANEZ V, Jaqueline. Recurrent intussusception secondary to invaginated cecal appendix: Case report. Rev. chil. pediatr. [online]. 2012, vol.83, n.6, pp.595-598. ISSN 0370-4106.  http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0370-41062012000600010.

Introduction: Intussusception is an idiopathic pathology that accounts for 95% of cases found; the remaining 5% is caused by some triggering events. Recurrences occur in 7 to 12% of cases and are associated with multiple causes. The aim of this research is to present the case of a patient with recurrent intussusception and analyze the cause of the recurrence. Case report: The patient was a 16 month-old male infant with a history of first episode of intussusception surgery at 4 months old. His second intussusception episode took place at 9 months of age, which was treated with pneumatic reduction process; at 16 months of age he presented his third episode, which was treated with hydrostatic reduction process. 8 hours post procedure, the patient had a new intussusception condition and surgical manual reduction was performed. Ileocolic intussusception was found with an appendiceal intrathecal remnant acting as the invaginating head. Remnant was removed and sent for biopsy. Conclusions: Recurrent intussusception is associated with triggering anatomical factors; therefore, in the case of recurrences, a possible organic cause should be considered and surgical treatment is recommended.

Keywords : Recurrent intussusception; appendiceal remnant; pneumatic reduction; hydrostatic reduction.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )

 

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License