INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
Scope and policy
PERSPECTIVAS DE LA COMUNICACIÓN (ISSN 0718-4867), a biannual electronic journal affiliated to the Doctorate in Communication in the University of La Frontera (Temuco-Chile) and the Austral University of Chile (Valdivia-Chile), was created with the purpose of contributing to the scientific and academic dialogue between researchers; and it is committed to the dissemination of research results and critical works on social, cultural, political, economic, intercultural, linguistic, literary, discursive, semiotic and narrative processes and phenomena, typical of the field of Communication in the world.
This journal is published twice a year: in June and December. The first issue of the year covers the months from January to June. The second issue covers the months from July to December. From year 2020 on, articles will be published Ahead of Print.
This journal provides an open access to its content, based on the principle that providing to the public a free access to the investigations help to a better global exchange of knowledge.
PERSPECTIVAS DE LA COMUNICACIÓN journal only publishes papers which were previously approved by the Scientific Committee.
The revision method used is a double blind peer review evaluation which maintains the author’s and reviewer’s anonymity.
All papers submitted to PERSPECTIVAS DE LA COMUNICACIÓN through this webpsite will automatically receive an acknowledgment of receipt by e-mail. Submissions are not accepted in paper format neither attached to a direct e-mail to the journal director or any editor.
The editorial team checks if the new received paper fulfills the guidelines for authors, and, with the journal Director, it is checked if the paper falls within the journal’s approach and scope. The editorial team reserves the right to reject any paper that does not fulfill the formal requirements or the thematic focus.
Papers that go beyond this first phase are assigned to a journal editor who is in charge of supervising the arbitration process.
The arbitration process of this journal is the following: papers, without any information which could identify their authors, are submitted to a minimum of two anonymous and independent reviewers to check according to the evaluation criteria set by the publication [link: http://revistafronteras.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/formatodeevaluacin.pdf]. In case of disagreement between reviewers, a third reviewer will provide the final decision. At all times, author’s and reviewer’s names remain anonymous.
Only the paper with the reviewers’ favorable opinion can be published.
The evaluation results can be the following: 1) PUBLISHABLE; 2) PUBLISHABLE WITH MODIFICATIONS; 3) NOT PUBLISHABLE.
All authors will receive a response, positive or negative, by e-mail sent through the journal’s website and signed by an editorial team member. In case an author is notified that the paper requires modifications, he/she must do the suggested changes in the period of time required by the editor.
As a rule, the journal relies on external reviewers, even though in some cases, it could rely on a reviewer who belongs to the Universidad de La Frontera. The external reviewers can be Chilean or foreigner.
The arbitration process, normally, takes 3 months. However, the journal gives the results to the author in a maximum period of 6 months. If not, the journal will contact the author to give the right apologies.
The journal will publish all accepted papers in the immediately next issue where it is possible to publish it. However, it reserves the right to include accepted papers to be published in a more appropriate issue.
The journal reserves the right to make minor stylistic corrections. During the assessment and edition process, there is only one means of communication with the author, it is the e-mail.
Authors are responsible for the scientific content and
points of view expressed which will not necessarily be the same as the
Form and preparation of manuscripts
All works submitted to be evaluated must comply with the following Author Guidelines:
1. Submissions must be original and unpublished; they must have academic and social interest. It is forbidden to send works that were already published in any other format. It is also prohibited to submit works that have already been submitted to other magazines or editorial bodies.
2. PERSPECTIVAS DE LA COMUNICACIÓN journal does not accept submissions by e-mail. The article submission must be done through this website, if you are not registered yet, register. In case you have a user and password to this web, sign in and send your work.
In the 3 step of submission form (“Enter your submission metadata”), you must enter the following information: Author’s full name, each author’s institution, e-mail, city and country. Also, in the “Biographical sketch” section, it will be specified the Academic Level of each author. THIS INFORMATION MUST NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE PAPER IN ORDER TO ASSURE AN ANONYMOUS EVALUATION.
3. Texts about scientific communications and papers will have a minimum length of 15 pages and the maximum 30.
4. Only papers written in Spanish, Portuguese or English may be accepted and published.
5. Authors should download and use the template file to prepare their manuscripts: Template for MS Word2003.
6. The file sent should be in Microsoft Word or RTF document file format.
7. All works must have their title in Spanish and English.
8. Abstracts must be written in Spanish/Portuguse and English, and they shall not exceed 250 words.
9. Abstracts must have a minimum of 4 words and maximum 6, they must be written in Spanish/Portuguese and English.
10. Titles and subtitles must be written in capital letters and lowercase letter highlighted in bold type.
11. If the paper includes images or illustrations, they must have a minimum resolution of 250 dpi, and they must be in the appropriate text places, instead of just at the end.
12. Tables, images, figures, appendices and notes must be included in the text, in the right place, instead of at the end. These must be numbered correlatively and indicate as image caption its source, even when it was an author’s creation. Tittles of tables, images, and similarities must have a 12-point size. Size of tables, images, and similarities must be wide enough to observe it clearly.
13. Footnotes must be numbered correlatively throughout the work. These will be used only to give information which could not be included in the paper text when it is strictly necessary.
14. Bibliographical references must be presented using Harvard style (in the paper, author/date/page). This method provides a streamlined text, saves spaces, avoids unnecessary repetitions and is very clear according to the quote. It proceeds as follows: It will be placed in the text itself, where the quote begins between parenthesis, author’s name, year of publication and the page(s) referred to, for example, (Dijk, 1983a: 177). If the same author/s cited had published more than one work in a given year, it shall be noted by letters a, b, c..., for example, (Dijk, 1983b: 93-98). If the reference belongs to a website, it will be detailed like this: (Dijk, 1976: web). When author/s of any work are more than only one, it must be used the first signatory followed by the formula “et al”. All quotes must have a complete bibliographical reference.
15. Articles should end with the heading Bibliographical references (by extension these references will keep the hemerographic and cyber graphic references and it will not be distinguished in different headings), this will contain only the works used with an alphabetical order by authors (PERSPECTIVAS DE LA COMUNICACIÓN checks and removes references unused in the text), quoting in order: surnames (capital letters), name (lowercase), year of publication or publication referred (in parenthesis) and distinguishing a, b c... if the author has more of one work in the same year; book title (in italics), volume, place of publication and name of publisher. In some unique works should be added, next to edition year, the first edition of the work. It will be the same guidelines for hemerography and contributions in books except in article titles: In both cases, it is allowed to use just quotation marks. The use of italics is reserved for the title of the newspaper, magazine or book group.
The following examples show the description given:
DIJK; Teun a. van (1983a): La ciencia del texto. Barcelona,
Contributions in Books
Internet articles: Surname and author’s name, year (if appears), article title (between quotation marks), publication title (italics), electronic address and date of consultation.
DIJK; Teun a. Van (1976): “Narrative macrostructures. Cognitive and logical foundations”, in Discourse in Society: http://www.discourses.org/OldArticles/Narrative%20macrostructures.pdf. [Date consulted: January 1, 2007].
16. The author/s retain/s the copyright of their work and grant the journal the right of first publication. For this purpose, the author/s must check the box found in the "Notice of Copyright" section of the article submission form that only can access authors previously registered in this web. Please register here.
17. Papers that do not comply with the requirements described above will not be subject to the evaluation process.
18. Conflict of Interests. When a work is submitted, the author/s is responsible for recognizing and disclosing their financial or any other conflicts that might influence the work. They should recognize in the work all financial support or any personal or economic relationship that is linked to the work.
Reviews are critical assessments of books in the three indicated areas. The books reviewed must be publications edited during the three years immediately before the date publication of the number, including that year. Each review must include full details of the work (numbers of pages and ISBN) and should not exceed three pages typed with 1.5 spacing.
Sending articles and reviews to PERSPECTIVAS DE LA COMUNICACIÓN journal authorizes the Director and Editor of the academic journal to spread the published work, through the electronic version of the journal and in any database or indexing systems that it decides to use to achieve a greater diffusion of the work.
Sending of manuscripts
Manuscripts must be submitted electronically through the website, http://revistas.ufro.cl/ojs/index.php/perspectivas/index.
Authors should create an account on this site and follow
the steps indicated there.
[About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
de La Frontera
Francisco Salazar N° 1145, Región de la Araucanía
Código Postal 4811230
Temuco - Chile
Tel.: (56-45) 2325186