On-line version ISSN 1726-569X
Acta bioeth. vol.17 no.2 Santiago Nov. 2011
Acta Bioethica 2011; 17(2): 273-275
Report of an evaluation meeting
Ethics of biomedical and psychosocial research program, Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics, University of Chile, Grant Fogarty International Center R25TWOO6056
Fernando Lolas Stepke1, Eduardo Rodríguez Yunta1
1Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics, University of Chile, Chile
A meeting to evaluate the program of biomedical and psychosocial research ethics, conducted at Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics, was held September 8th and 9th, 2011, at the National Health Institute in Lima, Peru, with the following aims:
• To evaluate jointly with former trainees the Program on Research Ethics of the Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics.
• To establish the effects of the program in different Latin America and Caribbean countries.
• To update and evaluate research ethics activities in different countries.
• To share experiences among trainees in order to establish a collaboration network.
• To learn from the experience of groups working in research ethics in Peru.
• To propose strategies for strengthening future program.
Former trainees reported on their activities after participation in the program, the effects on their institutions, and future prospects. After ten years of the program it is worthy to note that there are "groups of former trainees" in several countries supporting activities based on their training and the acknowledgement given by their institutions to these activities. It is clear also, in concordance with diagnosis performed previously by the program, that there are countries with different levels in research ethics development.
Forty-one former trainees responded positively to a preliminary enquiry and 18 actually took part in the meeting. Including other participants, the total number was 30.
The meeting also served as a forum for interaction between different institutions and initiatives related to bioethics and research ethics. The program included lectures on research integrity, the situation of research ethics, the use of virtual methods for training, and the constitution of operating networks for the analysis of Latin American research ethics.
Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics, University of Chile.
National Institute of Health, Peru.
Fogarty International Center, NIH.
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
Health Ethics Institute, Medicine Department, San Marcos National University, Peru.
Medical Association, Peru.
Pan American Bioethics Initiative, Miami University.
Bioethics Peruvian Society.
Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University.
PARTICIPANTS AND LECTURERS
- Ayala Jara, Carmen Isolina. Professor National University of Trujillo, Peru.
- Cardozo, Carmen Alicia. Professor National University of Colombia, Colombia.
- Castro, Julieta Ivonne. Public Health National Institute, Mexico.
- Díaz-Santana, Elsa. Teaching University Hospital Dario Contreras, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- Espinoza, Vilma Esther. Professor National Autonomous University, Honduras.
- Gamboa, Gilberto. Professor University of Sabana, Colombia.
- Garbi-Novaes, María Rita. Professor Medicine Department, Health Secretary Federal District, Brazil.
- García, Carmen Rosa. Professor Dentistry Department, Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University, Lima, Peru.
- Lara-Alvarez, Cesar. Project Director Biotech Consulting Group and Biofields. Professor University of Miami.
- Moncayo, Lilian Patricia. Ministry of Health, Quito, Ecuador.
- Mondragón, Liliana. National Psychiatry Institute Ramón de la Fuente Muñiz, Mexico.
- Moreno, Luis. National Institute of Health, Peru.
- Ormaeche, Melvy. Epidemiology Department. Ministry of Health, Peru.
- Ospina, Doris. Professor Antioquia University, Medellin, Colombia.
- Pavon, Sandra. Hospital Regional Diego Paroissien.
- Rodriguez, Katya. Ministry of Health, Quito, Ecuador.
- Valencia-Marroquin, Hilda Elena. Coordinator University Interdisciplinary Health Research Program, Research Management, San Carlos University of Guatemala.
- Vidal-Anzardo, Margot H. National Institute of Health, Clinical Trials Unit.
FACULTY OF FOGARTY PROGRAMS:
- Goodman, Ken. Pan American Bioethics Initiative, Miami University, U.S.A.
- Lagos, Karin. Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics, University of Chile.
- Litewka, Sergio. Pan American Bioethics Initiative, Miami University, U.S.A.
- Lolas, Fernando. Director Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics, University of Chile.
- Rodriguez, Eduardo. Coordinator Ethics of Biomedical and Psycosocial Research Program, Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics, University of Chile.
- Cabezas, Cesar Augusto. Director National Institute of Health, Peru.
- Lezcano, Roxana. Director Research Management Program, Tropical Diseases Research Center U.S. Marine.
- Llanos, Roberto. President Peruvian Bioethics Institution, Peru.
- Mendoza, Alfonso. Professor Psiquiatry Department, San Marcos National Major University, Lima, Peru.
- Minaya, Gabriela Emperatriz. Director Clinical Trials Unit, National Institute of Health, Peru.
- Perales, Alberto. Professor Medicine Department, San Marcos National Major University, Lima, Peru. Peruvian Medical Association.
- Quiroz, Estela. Executive Coordinator National Web of Scientific Ethical Review Committee.
OUTCOMES OF THE MEETING:
The reinforcement of existing networks and fresh insights into forms of collaboration, including distant learning and the use of the CITI Training Program for research ethics were discussed and plans for future interactions delineated. Former trainees proposed in order to facilitate integration, to open a site in the web of CIEB to interact with proposals. Written contributions will be edited and published in the CIEB website www.bioetica.uchile.cl. Some of them shall also be considered for publication in the peer-reviewed journal Acta Bioethica (www.actabioethica.cl)
Following documents are available at www.bioetica.uchile.cl:
1. Eduardo Rodríguez, Fernando Lolas, Julieta Ivone Castro, María Rita Garbi-Novaes, Gilberto Gamboa Bernal, Elsa Díaz, Hilda Elena Valencia-Marroquín, Katya Rodríguez. "Comisiones nacionales de bioética y organismos de desarrollo de ciencia y tecnología en Latinoamérica. Una reflexión". September, 2011.
2. Eduardo Rodríguez, Fernando Lolas, María Rita Garbi-Novaes, Carmen Alicia Cardozo, Julieta Ivone Castro, Katya Rodríguez, Elsa Díaz, Patricia Moncayo, Liliana Mondragón, Hilda Elena Valencia-Marroquín. "Integridad ética en la investigación en Latinoamérica". September, 2011.
3. Gilberto A. Gamboa Bernal. "Regulación de la ética de investigación en Colombia". September, 2011.
4. Maria Rita Carvalho Garbi Novaes, Elza Pastor Martinez, Roberto Cañete. "Relato de reacciones adversas a medicamentos em ensayos clínicos experimentales com nuevos fármacos em Brasil". September, 2011.
5. Vilma Esther Espinoza Pérez, Eduardo Rodríguez Yunta, Ana L. Sánchez. "Situación de los comites de ética de investigación en salud en Honduras". September, 2011.
Correspondence: Fernando Lolas Stepke. Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Bioethics, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile. E-mail: email@example.com