Revista chilena de pediatría
Print version ISSN 0370-4106
GONZALEZ C., Claudia; DIAZ G., Juan Pablo and ROMERO P., Patricio. Haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) associated with Streptococcus pneumoniae infection. Rev. chil. pediatr. [online]. 2000, vol.71, n.6, pp. 503-506. ISSN 0370-4106. doi: 10.4067/S0370-41062000000600007.
HUS is the most important cause of acute renal failure in childhood, mostly associated with an infectious diarrhoea (90%). Within the remaining 10% we know that HUS is associated with invasive neuraminidase-producing S. pneumoniae, an uncommon aetiological organism in HUS. There are only 22 cases reported internationally and not previously described in Chile. We present 2 cases that occurred in our hospital, one associated with meningitis and the other with pneumonia and pleural effusion. Commenting on the clinical features, evolution and pathogenic mechanism of this rare disease
Keywords : hemolytic uremic syndrome; acute renal failure; Streptococcus pneumoniae; neuroaminidase.